Sometimes the owners forget that our smaller brothers can also get a common cold. In winter, they can suffer from cold and icy winds, especially if the breed is short-haired. Also, to a large extent, this applies to small dogs, whose bodies cannot emit enough heat to warm the body in the cold season.
In addition to warming, clothes can also act as a raincoat. You have to walk with your pet in the rain, and after it, when there are dirt and puddles around. If your dog is long-haired – after each walk it will carry it all around the apartment, and you will have to bathe it. And this takes a lot of time (at least 10-15 minutes after each “dirty” walk), and frequent bathing is not very nice for hair and skin.
That is why responsible owners buy or independently engage in a pattern of clothing for the dog. If you want to take care of the comfort of your pet yourself, then in this article you will learn how to sew clothes for the dog.
In addition to warming, clothes can also act as a raincoat. You have to walk with your pet in the rain, and after it, when there is dirt and puddles around. If your dog is long-haired – after each walk it will carry it all around the apartment, and you will have to bathe it. And this takes a lot of time (at least 10-15 minutes after each “dirty” walk), and frequent bathing is not very useful for hair and skin.
How to take accurate measurements from a dog
As in the case of a person, immediately before sewing clothes, it is necessary to measure the dimensions of the dog so that the future product is not too loose or, on the contrary, tight. To do this, you will have to follow several rules that will allow you to take accurate measurements from your dog:
- during measurement, the dog should stand on all limbs straight;
- remember that it is necessary to measure the widest and narrowest places of each part of your pet’s body:
- neck size (identical to collar size);
- chest volume – measurement is made above the forelimbs;
- the back is measured from the withers to the place where the tail begins;
- the measure of the abdomen is measured in its narrowest part;
- along the body of the dog, the distance between the front and hind legs is measured;
- the length of the paws needs to be measured if you want to tailor the clothes for the dog with sleeves;
- distance between neck and armpits;
- hind paw volume is the only parameter for which the dog will have to sit during measurement;
- distance between forelegs.
- For each parameter, do not forget to add a few centimeters (from 1 to 3), because the seams slightly shorten the volume of the fabric and the clothes for the dog should be a bit loose.
к содержанию ↑
How to train a dog to wear clothes
It should be understood that clothing is unnatural for dogs. That changes the usual course of things. Therefore, if you do not want the pet to feel discomfort or gnaw the clothes created for him, you first need to accustom him to wear things.
Each dog is unique in its own way, so some can immediately put on a fashionable jumpsuit or comfortable blanket, while others will resist until the very end. There are no universal methods, but there are several rules that will help you in this process:
- It’s better to train your dog from early childhood. The puppy is curious and easier to perceive any changes.
- If you plan to give a pet to a trainer, you can “order” and get accustomed to clothing.
- To start, sew comfortable and free blankets for your pet, which practically do not interfere when walking or while running. When he gets used to the fact that he generally has some kind of clothes – you can switch to less free models.
- After you have sewed the clothes, let it lie for several days in the house so that the dog can get used to its smell.
- Putting a dog on a thing can be very difficult if it decides to resist. Do not shout and do not swear, but be persistent to complete the job.
- Disguise the process of dressing up the game.
Remember: poor-quality, uncomfortable or small clothes will certainly cause discomfort even for a trained and familiar pet. Therefore, if you understand that the thing is really bad – do not try to put it on. The dog will not want to walk in it, and it may develop “hostility” to any clothes in general.к содержанию ↑
Materials for making clothes
The choice of material for clothing for a dog from old things or purchased fabric depends on several aspects:
- pet size and coat length;
- weather in your area (for example, if you have frosty long winters – your clothes should be warm, and if the weather is rainy and slushy – it should be waterproof and quick to wash and dry);
- your preference.
Dog clothes from old things
In the summer heat, few people like to go for walk-in clothes. But during the demi-season, short-haired and small dogs may feel discomfort during cool evenings or rainy weather. For the first option, trimmings from your old cotton t-shirts or knitted pants are suitable. But wet or rainy weather will require you to use a Bologna fabric or raincoat fabric.
Winter is a harder challenge. You can sew dog clothes from an old sweater or sweater. Cotton or wool products are best suited for your pet to have a second skin that reliably protects from severe frosts. On top of such an outfit, it is better to sew a second layer of any waterproof fabric (for this, an old tracksuit jacket or sport pants are suitable) – since the wind will blow through the sweater.
Selection of materials and tools for cutting dog clothes
In order to tie clothes for a dog, you will need such tools and materials:
- fabric for the top and inner lining;
- elastic bands;
- sewing machine;
- pencil or crayon for signs;
- scissors and pins.
We figured out the tools, now we should talk about materials.
If you want to tailor winter or autumn clothes, then the top layer of clothing should be made waterproof. As already mentioned, Bologna and raincoat fabric perfectly cope with this task. This is not too warm material, which, however, can reliably protect your pet from wind and water. Now your dog will not tremble from the cold, even if the weather is warm enough but humidor windy.
The inner layer of clothing for the dog should have good warming qualities. It is best to choose a soft and warm material in which the dog will retain heat in any frost. Such materials are suitable for these characteristics:
- and other similar fabrics.
Patterns of clothes for dogs
It may seem to many that clothing for dogs is an invention of manufacturers and expensive brands that hunt for your money. However, it is not. Absolutely all dogs can suffer from a cold and catch a cold or pneumonia. This is especially true for small breeds. Due to the small body that cannot accumulate enough heat, their body is constantly suffering from stress and hypothermia in the cold season. That is why, if you do not want to spend money on the purchase of expensive things, take care of your pets by creating a pattern of clothes for dogs with your own hands.
Each breed of dog has a special physique, so in this article, you will find patterns for popular and common breeds.
How to sew clothes for a dog to cut overalls
We present you an instruction on how to sew clothes for a dog on cutting overalls:
- To get started, select the pattern on which you will sew the jumpsuit.
- Find out the length of the dog’s back.
- Create a pattern, taking into account the received parameter, and translate it into tracing paper.
- Cut out individual details of the cut and copy them onto paper, wallpaper or any other similar material.
- Put the cut parts on the material used for clothing.
- According to the patterns, cut out the shapes necessary for the jumpsuit from the material.
- Compose the parts of the overalls in two layers (outer and inner) and sew them together and at the fold. Before that, do not forget to check the operation of the machine.
- Fold the pieces with the outside and sew them.
- It’s time to sew on the side parts of the overalls.
- The backs are already sewn to them.
- And finally, the sleeves for the hind legs.
You can experiment with this pattern by adding a belt that will tighten on the dog’s stomach, or a collar with clothespins for more comfort.
Overalls pattern for the Yorkshire Terrier
The pattern of clothes for small dogs of this breed consists of four parts:
- four sleeves.
For greater convenience, the zipper should be inserted on the back. Then the process of dressing your pet will be quick and convenient.
Pattern of blankets for dachshunds
It may seem that this active hunting breed can take care of itself, but you just look at this short coat. It is obvious that during winter frosts any dachshund will suffer from hypothermia. That is why now we will tell you how to tailor clothing for a dachshund.
The pattern is very simple. To stitch it you will need the following parameters:
- back length;
- breast size.
In this type of clothing for dogs you do not need a zipper, fasteners are best done with Velcro or fasteners. Then you can make the blanket freer, and only then adjust the size according to the parameters of your dachshund.
Pattern of overalls for chihuahua
Chihuahua is one of the smallest breeds in the world. Naturally, it’s just necessary for them to tailor the clothes for the dogs so that at any time of the year the little friend would feel comfortable. A warm jumpsuit with a comfortable zipper on the back, as well as a hood and visor will prepare the Chihuahua for new adventures in the fresh air.
Pattern for a sweater
A sweater can be a great solution for your pet if the winters in your city are dry. Otherwise, you might think of a waterproof lining for such clothing for dogs.
Measure the dog’s neck and back length from the withers to the base of the tail. It is better to use a material consisting of at least 40% wool. This will help your pet keep warm even in the coldest weather.
Pattern of shoes for dogs
Also, do not forget to take care of the pet’s legs by sewing shoes for him for the dog. First measure the size of the paw. Given this parameter, make the sole of future shoes, well, and then make stockings using a thin fabric. Hindfoot shoes should cover the joint. This must be done so that it does not fall while walking.
In the winter version of the shoe, you can use a woolen layer for the shaft and rubber waterproof material for the sole.к содержанию ↑
Pattern of overalls for large breeds
Large dogs, although it is easier to tolerate cold, still need clothing for especially frosty or wet periods. If you are the owner of a dimensional dog, then this cut of such a jumpsuit will definitely come in handy.
The main feature of this style is that each of the layers of the overalls can be turned outward, depending on the weather on the street. For warmer weather, fur, fleece or bike are turned out, and in severe frosts, drapes or cashmere.к содержанию ↑
Knitting clothes for dogs: knitting and crocheting
You can not only sew, but also knit clothes for the dog. You do not need a sewing machine for this. You can do only with knitting needles and crochet. It should be noted that knitted clothing perfectly protects from the cold, but if it rains or high humidity on the street, then it will not be useless. Also, knitted clothes for dogs do not protect very well from the wind.
With the help of knitting needles and a hook, you can sew almost any look: blanket, sweater, jacket or jumpsuit.
To start knitting clothes for the dog should be from neck to tail. In a circle, we collect the desired number of loops, after the collar has reached the desired size, we tighten the loops on both sides. We remind you that the size of the collar should be 2-3 centimeters larger than the dog’s neck. The pet should not strangle himself while walking.
Next, you should knit evenly to the beginning of the legs, and then narrow the loops to beginning to tie the clothes on the back right up to the base of the tail. We tie the collar, after which we do the fitting and adjustment, if necessary, well, and then we tie the collar and the chest.
On the Internet, you can find many cuts of dog clothes that you can sew with your own hands.